Adventure travel can be any kind of trip that needs physical strength, stamina and mental preparation. You need to be physically fit to enjoy the thrill of being on an adventure trip. One should always keep in mind several basic tips and guidelines to make their adventure trip a success. Some of the tips and suggestions are as follows:-
To make your trip more adventurous and safe, do follow certain safety guidelines and tips mentioned below:-
- Before heading for your adventure trekking trip, do study weather forecast of that area. Newbies should always carry a raincoat or windsheeter with them. Climate can change frequently in several trekking points.
- Do carry multi-pocket carry bag engrafted with zipper closure and cushioned shoulder straps, especially for trekking trips. The bag should be spacious enough to carry all the important trekking essentials while trekking.
- Must keep a lighter, Swiss army knife, space blanket, water bottle and winter attire in your carry bag or pocket before heading for trekking.
- To prevent insect bite, do wear full sleeves shirts and full pants.
- Do carry sleeping bag and trekking rope of about 50 meters of length with you.
- A direction compass and topographical map is must while trekking in mountains.
- An ice cutting axe should always be carried if heading into snowy terrain.
- If suffering from any kind of ailment, do carry proper prescribed medicines to prevent serious health problem including heatstroke, severe headache, cough, dehydration and hypothermia.
- Always wear proper trekking shoes while trekking. Uncomfortable pair of shoes can harshly hurt your feet and can lead to serious foot injuries while trekking. Therefore do spend some time to arrange proper and comfortable trekking shoes before heading for trekking tour.
- Choose those trekking shoes that are a half-size bigger than your regular shoes to allow space for some swelling caused while trekking and to hold heavier trekking socks.
- Do carry food items which carry larger amount of carbohydrates.
- Always take important medicine and first aid box with you.
- Do always cover your neck area, particularly in frequently changing weather .It can lead to serious neck problems and pains if left uncovered.
- Do wear thick woolen socks or stockings while trekking. Synthetic blended socks can be used for trekking purpose, as these are specially designed to preclude feet moisture.
- Try to walk in proper breaks and intervals. Never rush continuously to reach the peak level. Take a tea or snacks break every one or two hours. These small breaks will refresh you a lot and could recharge your energy to start afresh.
HIKING WITH KIDS
If you are taking your young ones along with you for hiking then do keep in mind certain basic tips:-
- Rethink whether your kids can handle it.
- Carry loads of snacks and drinking water for your kids while hiking.
- Make sure that your kids rest properly at equal intervals. Never keep a tight and busy hiking schedule. Don’t rush through end to complete the whole hiking task.
- Do carry tissues and toilet paper for wiping and cleaning purposes.
- Always maintain excitement and cheer amongst kids. Boredom and dullness can irritate kids and make them cranky while hiking.
- Add a goal or purpose to the hike. Make you kids count the animals, flowers or birds while going up. This will make them busy while hiking.
- Kids love to click snaps. If possible, let them handle the photography part.
- Try to be patient and share your knowledge and experiences with them while being on camping. Make them aware of natural surroundings.
- Teach your kids how to set up a tent while being on a camping trip.
- Take along few games to play.
- Plan several fun activities to avoid boredom and to make your trip unforgettable.
- Teach them how to respect nature and save environment.
- Do go for small route hiking with your kids.
- Light a born fire to have fun and enjoyment.
- Do carry extra clothing and shoes for your kids. Never forget to take insect repellent and first aid box for emergencies.
CLIMBING GUIDE TIPS
Follow some basic tips and guides for a safe and enjoyable climbing adventure.
- Being fit and healthy is the first and foremost necessity to experience safe and successful rock climbing adventure. Therefore, do warm-up and stretching exercises prior to climbing. It improves the blood circulation in the body and brings flexibility needed for climbing. Proper warm and exercise helps preventing serious injuries and reduces muscle strain.
- Do get an idea of all possible physical climbing techniques and moves before heading for climbing sport. Do make points in your mind on how to reach the top with least possible difficulties. Do preview the whole route before climbing at it.
- Do take a look at the climbing route from the ground before you begin it. Ascertain of what you want to take along.
- Always check safety knots before starting climbing. Also check that the ropes are properly tied through both the harness leg loops and waist loop.
- Before heading for climbing do check whether the harnesses of both the belayer’s and climber’s buckles are doubled back.
- While climbing, do check the rope position. Climbing rope should be tied over your legs rather between or behind legs. Wrongly positioned rope can be dangerous if you fall down as it can slip upside down and could bang your head with the cliff.
- Opt for a climbing helmet for safety while climbing. Climbing helmets keep you safe from falling rock pieces or head injuries.
- Do choose a lengthy rope while climbing. Be sure that your climbing rope is long enough to reach the lower back down on a belay ledge on multi pitch routes.
- While climbing, if you have even a slightest doubt of rope being shorter than expected do apply stopper knot at the end point of the rope to avoid falling down the cliff.
- Avoid over-gripping as it can over strain your forearms and makes you tired. Just relax and remain conscious of your grip and force you applied to hold yourself at that point. Make a balance and ameliorate your endurance. Keep your back and shoulders as relaxed as possible.
- If you are climbing in a group, do always pay attention to all the instructions provided by the leader or instructor climbing above.
- Do not take your leader off belay unless you are sure enough that he is safely tied.
- Be sure that you have clipped your climbing rope properly through quickdraws and carabiners accurately. Do use locking carabiners at right areas of rope.
- Avoid back slipping your rope. Make sure that your climbing rope runs back to front rather than front to back.
- Do use safety anchors while climbing. After reaching at the top of route do use at least two anchors. While being on a sport route, use locking carabiners when lowering down off the anchor’s top rope.
- Finally, observe and learn from experienced and good climbers. Do practice good rock climbing techniques while climbing. Constant practice will certainly improve your performance.
WILDLIFE SAFARI TIPS
Wildlife Safaris may become genuinely unforgettable and thrill filled if you consider following guidelines and tips before heading for it:-To make your trip more adventurous and safe, do follow certain safety guidelines and tips mentioned below:-
- Always listen and follow all the instructions provided by safari guide or instructor.
- Do research on wildlife and their habitat before planning the trip.
- Never forget to spot the best possible place for viewing wild animals and birds.
- Opt for early morning or late night wildlife trips. During these timings you can spot maximum number of wild animals.
- If going with your family, either opt for malaria free safaris or take anti-malaria medication to avoid getting sick while being on safari trip.
- Do get an authentic health and vaccination advice before you depart for safaris. Take treatment and vaccination before and during the trip. Do carry anti diarrhea, anti malaria and headache medicines.
- Avoid wandering all alone especially at night time. Prefer staying inside your tent to avoid any kind of miss happening.
- Beware of wild animals, especially hyenas who roam around the camp area in search of leftover food stuff after fire dies away. If you hear their howl sound, stay inside your tent.
- Try to keep you tents zipped up, especially at evening and night time to get protection from cold weather and wild animals.
- Be cautious of wild snakes, as they always stay in search of warm places like tents and sleeping bags.
- Always eat or properly dispose of leftover food. Never leave food inside the tent area to attract insects, flies and wild animals.
- Never feed wild animals as they may get agitated or lose their control to attack you in return.
- Try to travel in a group, never travel alone on a safari tour. Stay cautious of your surroundings and prefer not taking lifts from strangers.
- Avoid getting into the bush without your guide permission.
- If you see wild animals, do not approach them and try to maintain a proper distance from them.
- Never enter or swim inside any river, lakes, streams or waterfalls as you can become an easy prey to crocodiles, hippos and other wild animals present in the water.
- Do not get off from your safari vehicle to click the pictures of wild animals. They may attack you in return. It can pose a threat to your life.
- Do take insect repellent with you. Try to wear sober clothes and avoid bright colored clothes as flies and insects get attracted by it.
- Carry your own drinking water bottle and avoid drinking contagious local water. Always prefer to eat hygienic food.
- Keep your legs, arms and other body parts as covered as possible, to avoid insect sting or snake bite.
- Wear high gum boots and long pants. Try not to put highly scented perfumes and a deodorant as these attracts insects and flies.
- Opt for trip insurance.
- Carry wild animal and bird guide or travel book to know more about them.
- Do carry sun hat, sunscreen lotion and sunglasses to avoid sunburn from harmful Ultra Violet (UV) rays.
- It is preferable to carry your cameras inside dust-proof bags especially in the dry season to resist dust from entering your camera’s lenses.
- Do carry all important stuff in your day pack including field guide, binocolors, animal and bird checklist, digital camera, topographic map, compass, GPS unit and optional notebook to make a note of what you see.
BIKING /CYCLING TIPS
Riding bike or cycle on mountain area could turn out to be full of adventure and fun if some cycling and biking tips and guidelines are followed :-
- Fitness and stamina is the most essential for riding a bike or cycle for an adventure trip. Do workout by doing pedaling on an exercise bike.
- Abide by the traffic rules. Wear helmet to protect yourself from serious head injuries while biking or cycling.
- Never over exhaust or tire yourself while riding. Do ride as per your capacity. Try walking when get tired.
- Do move at a constant speed. Keep a close check on your biking or cycling speed. Keep your eyes open to see all kinds of obstacles coming in your way.
- Do keep your speed down at blind corners as you never know what is there around the corner.
- Always ride your bike or cycle on right hand side of the road.
- Always stay hydrated while riding bike or cycle. Carry and drink loads of water.
- Never hesitate to stop & look at difficult or uneven sections of trail. Do plan on how to cross them without facing any obstacles.
- While moving in between traffic or busy street, try to ride on the right hand side of road to avoid collision with traffic automobiles.
- Try to maintain a smooth flow with the ongoing traffic.
- Prefer taking a lane if there is inadequate space to move.
- Do apply hand signs and signals to let motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians know your intention to move, turn or stop.
- Always ride your bike or cycle in a straight line, don’t move zigzag. Avoid going in lane of parked bikes, cars and buses.
- Always use horn, bell or verbal signage to other people while passing.
- Ride in a visible area, do hang or carry flash light while riding at night time.
- If you opted for hill climbing, be sure to equip your bike with decent low-gear ration such as 22 x 30 or macho bottom gears like 24 x 28.
- If you have arranged a rental bike, make sure it is well equipped with front suspension.
- Do get proper riding shoes, do not rely on sneakers. Also carry couple of comfortable clothes include biking shorts, rain gear and woolen jerseys along with helmet and gloves.
Skiing is perplexed sport which requires lot of confidence, concentration and practice. Therefore do keep in mind some guide and tips to enjoy snow skiing.
- Beginners shall prepare themselves for snow skiing by taking some exercise or by joining some fitness classes. Proper workout will tone muscles and make them fit for experiencing this sport fully.
- Fitness is must for maximizing the fun and minimizing the muscle strain while skiing. Doing full squads everyday can help a lot.
- Opt for beginners skiing classes and get some lessons at indoor ski slopes by skiing trainers before your skiing adventure.
- Do listen to skiing instructor and follow his instructions. Learn skiing down the mountain slope and learn to stop and control your skis. Do not hesitate to ask anything from them concerned with skiing.
- Use your poles as gadgets to balance yourself unless you become confident enough to do it freely supported by your legs.
- Learn how to Slow plough. Do practice it by making V shape with your skis while going forward down the snowy slope. Slowploughing is extremely helpful to stop while skiing and to prevent from falling down the slope.
- If accidentally you fall down, do get off the snow with the help of your poles. Try to put your body weight on poles while standing up.
- Never forget to wear UV protected sunglasses to reduce the harmful glare from sun and the snow while skiing.
- Before riding on the lift and heading for skiing, do make sure that your equipment is properly fitted or not.
- Dress warm clothes to avoid frostbite and other adverse climatic situations.
- Do keep a trail map with you.
- Make a point that you can easily load and unload from ski before going live. Failure to do so while skiing can be very dangerous.
- While skiing do keep your eyes open for warning like closed slopes or closed trails.
- Never forget to use gadgets to help prevent runaway equipment. When Not on the lift, employ pole straps.
- Always be sure to yield others whenever beginning downhill or merging onto a trail.
- Never stop or halt yourself in blind curve or beneath the hill crest.
- Try not to stop in the mid of the slope as it may cause serious accidents.
- Lastly, be calm and never lose your self control. Try to move on clear path and avoid tumbling on other skiers.
WOMEN ADVENTURE TRAVEL TIPS
Before setting out on your own for an adventure trip, every woman traveler should consider these basic tips and guidelines to make your trip more safe and fun filled.
- Do build in a higher level of stamina before heading for an adventure trip. Proper workout and exercise can help you attain this. If you are physically fit and healthy, then you can easily overcome all the obstacles coming your way during an adventure trip.
- Research about the social norms of the place you choose to visit. Always carry a route map with you. Do preview and plan your adventure trip accordingly.
- Get an authentic health and vaccination advice before you depart for any adventure tour. Take treatment and vaccination before and during the trip. Do carry anti diarrhea, anti malaria and headache medicines along with you.
- Opt for a self defense course before heading for an adventure trip. This will build in self confidence in you to overcome all hassles coming your way.
- Go for a guided tour. If you are traveling alone after your guided tour to an unfamiliar adventure spot, consider hiring a trustful guide who is well versed with that region or get advice from us. Never go alone to unknown and risky spots without the consent of your guide.
- Dress accordingly. Be cautious of the areas where women do not go much often.
- Stay alert of unwanted advances & unnecessary attention provided by stranger while being on an adventure trip.
- Avoid traveling at night time. Carry a flash light or a whistle to be used in case of emergencies at night time.
- Prefer carrying a mobile phone to stay in touch with your family and friends. Do provide them with emergency contact details in advance.
- Carry as little as possible while going for an adventure tour. Be specific on which clothes to carry and what accessories to wear.
- Wear proper traveling sports shoes or sneakers. Avoid wearing sandals.
- Never wear expensive jewelry while traveling as you may get targeted by thieves and burglars on the way.
- Always be cautious of your surroundings. Never take lift from strangers.
- Carry your money and important items inside hidden money bags to be worn under your clothes. By wearing hidden bags and pouches you can outsmart thieves and pick pockets and can stay safe.
- Do carry sunscreen lotions, sunglasses and sun hat to get protection from harmful Ultra Violet (UV) rays and sun glare.
- Never forget to carry first-aid box, along with allergy medicines, insect repellent and other essential medications to be used in emergencies.
WHITEWATER RAFTING TIPS
Everyone from kids to senior citizens or pre-teens to middle aged people can enjoy this adventurous and extreme sport of white water river rafting. If you are heading to raft on paddleboat or raft boat, the instructor will rely on you for paddling the boat. You are expected to follow all the instruction and make a move in a fraction of second while rafting. Forward and reverse strokes shall be applied as per the instructions of the professional instructor.To experience intense and overwhelming joy of whitewater river rafting, do consider several basic tips and safety measures:-
- It is advisable to study the climatic condition before planning the rafting tour. Newbies should avoid rafting during heavy rainfall, snow fall, storm or dam schedules.
- Rating rapids is classified from Class I through Class VI on an International Scale of Difficulty. Therefore choose rafting trips as per your capability and physical strength. Seek advice from instructor or rafting professionals regarding the same.
- Make note that you are provided with everything required for rafting including lifejackets, rafts, paddles and wetsuits by instructors or tour professionals.
- Do confirm whether all important essentials are kept along in the boat including patch kit, dry bags, cargo nets, pump and a throw rope for every participant required during rafting or in emergency.
- Always wear PFD (personal flotation device) when onboard.
- Always listen to rafting guides and instructors as they are professionally trained and are highly experienced. Don’t act over smart and never presume that you know better than them.
- Rafting guides provides verbal instructions about the techniques to paddle and moves to make inside the river. This can be extremely helpful to avoid stress injury while rafting.
- Do choose rafting trips which seems appropriate to the age group you fall in. Senior citizens and parents of young children should choose rapids as per their capacity to handle.
- Toddlers above two year of age can experience thrills of rafting if accompanied by their parents. They are offered float trips along with easy to handle Class I and Class II rapids. Kids are restricted to Class III rapids.
- During high water, Class IV rapids are prohibited for participants less than 16 years of age and Class V rapids are not allowed for participants less than 18 years of age.
- Small kids shall participate in beginner rafting courses during low water season to get well versed with this adventuresome sport.
- Do wear comfort fit life jacket, a loose jacket will not be much help in case of emergency. Even tight life jacket irritates a lot as the day goes on.